My Guide Website?
From Reykjavik: Diving Between Tectonic Plates Silfra Tour27 Reviews
Silfra is Iceland's most popular dive site, where you can dive right between the American and the European continents. You will dive in some of the clearest water on this planet (visibility 100m+).
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Reykjavik:If youʻre booking your trip to Reykjavik last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Experience some of the planet's clearest water (100 m+ visibility) at Silfra
- Visit the only place in the world where you can dive between 2 continents
- Marvel at the deep cracks in the earth thanks to visibility of over 100 meters
- Dive in a dry suit in water that is 2°C year-round, no matter the weather
- Take in Thingvellir National Park, a significant UNESCO World Heritage Site
DescriptionExperience a scuba diving tour of the Silfra fissure in Thingvellir National Park. Dive between two tectonic plates that lie between the continents in the clearest water in the world while admiring the mesmerizing colors of the underwater world. Enjoy optional transportation from Reykjavik. Start your day with hotel pickup or by meeting your guide directly at Silfra, a fissure located in Thingvellir National Park, a Unesco World Heritage Site. The park is one of the wonders of the famous Golden Circle route. Get divided into groups of six with one group per guide. Briefing and gearing up with your guide takes about 1 hour. You'll be diving in a dry suit (included), to help you stay warm and dry inside your suit while in the cold water. At the entry platform, enter Silfra and spend about 45 minutes in the water exploring Silfra's four sections. Float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section where the continental plates are so close you can touch them. The fissure then widens into Silfra Hall where a full spectrum of Silfra’s colors and clarity become all the more apparent. At this point, if you look at just the right angle you can see all the way to lake Thingvallavatn, over 150 m away. Near the opening of Thingvellir Lake, enter the Silfra Cathedral where the depth reaches 23 m. Your dive ends in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon. After the dive, exit through the platform and walk back to the meeting point (about 250 meters). Enjoy hot chocolate and cookies to warm up. Enjoy time to chat with your guide, ask any questions you might have, and take a look at the pictures taken during your tour. If you came via hotel pickup, you'll board the shuttle bus back to your hotel when ready.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected) Live guide/PADI instructor Silfra entry fee Scuba diving equipment Drysuit and warm undersuit Heated van to change clothes Hot chocolate and cookies
- To take part in this tour you must have PADI Open Water certification or comparable from another dive organization
- You must also have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the tour date or have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives
- The minimum age is 17 (a signature from a legal guardian is required for participants under 18)
- If you do not have a PADI Open Water certification (or equivalent) and dry suit experience, the Snorkeling Silfra Tour is recommended