Reykjavik: 1.5-Hour Puffin Watching Tour35 Reviews
Encounter charismatic puffins and other sea birds close-up on a 1.5-hour tour from Reykjavik and experience the wildlife in their natural environment, where they breed on small islands. Enjoy great views via complimentary on board binoculars.
- Encounter charismatic puffins and other sea birds close-up
- Sail to Akurey, Engey or Lundey to see the puffin breeding grounds
- Get up-close views via the free on board binoculars
- Encounter puffins in an environmentally friendly manner
- Learn interesting facts and hear tales about the puffins and their surroundings
DescriptionThe charismatic puffin has attracted local and tourist attention around Iceland for many years. It is their prismatic appearance and curious behavior that gives rise to this intrigue. Their most obvious characteristic during the breeding season is their brightly colored bill which, added to their striking piebald plumage, has given rise to nicknames such as “clown of the ocean” or “sea parrot.” Depending on tides and weather conditions, you will head to Akurey, Engey or Lundey on a 1.5-hour cruise. These islands are well known for their plentiful birdlife, and in addition to puffins you will have the opportunity to view other birds, such as eider ducks, arctic terns, guillemots, cormorants, fulmars, geese and oystercatchers. The islands' shores are rocky, but the captains know the best spots to get close to the puffins in their natural habitat. If the weather is right he might even turn off the engines so that you can listen to the birds' calls. Luckily the puffins usually stay put for a while, so they are easy to photograph. Although you get close to the islands, the puffins are comparatively small birds and the free use of binoculars on board comes in handy. You can also borrow a rain jacket to keep your dry, and sip authentic seaman's coffee to keep warm.
IncludesWarm overalls, raincoats and blankets on board On board binoculars to borrow Naturalist guide to enhance your experience Refreshments (available to purchase on board)
- Once in the harbor you can look around the Whale Watching Centre and watch videos, or just look at the various skeletons, information boards and gifts for sale
- By buying a ticket for this tour you are contributing to the summer research projects, environmentally friendly and responsible tourism and non-governmental organizations for the protection of wildlife
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY