Reykjavík: Erupting Volcano Hike and Reykjanes Tour
Hike to an erupting volcano in Geldingadalir valley, visit the Bridge Between Continents, see the majestic Reykjanesviti Lighthouse, witness the beauty of Lake Kleifarvatn, and admire Gunnuhver Hot Springs on this once in a lifetime tour from Reykjavík.
- Visit Lake Kleifarvatn's black basalt beach with underwater hot springs and viewpoint overlooking the mountains
- Hike to the Geldingadalur Valley erupting volcano where the surrounding green lava moss and rocks meet flowing lava
- Witness bubbling mud pots and hissing steam vents at Gunnuhver Hot Springs
- Breathe in the fresh Atlantic Ocean air at the photogenic Reykjanesviti Lighthouse with surrounding boulder ridges, sea-stacks, and cliffs
- Walk from the Eurasian to the American tectonic plate at The Bridge Between Continents, a 15 meter footbridge spanning a gaping rift
DescriptionIceland's Geldingadalur Valley now has multiple craters erupting for the first time in 7000 years. Start with pickup in Reykjavík before heading on a scenic drive surrounded by breathtaking views. The first stop is Lake Kleifarvatn, where you will enjoy scenes of the black beach and surrounding mountains. Next, get your hiking gear on and hike towards Geldingadalur Valley to see live volcanic activity. You will be able to enjoy your packed lunch on the hike while seeing lava flowing from the volcano. After, drive by the Reykjanes Peninsula, where the volcanos of the past have created land formations now covered by soft green lava moss. You'll then get to see and feel the Gunnuhver Hot Springs, where boiling waters and steam will reignite your senses. Only a 5-minute drive from there, you'll stop by the photogenic Reykjanes Lighthouse and the Valhnúkamöl Boulder Ridge to admire the cliffs and sea stacks formed by the Atlantic Ocean. The last stop before heading back to Reykjavík is the Bridge Between Continents where earthquakes have made a rift between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates. It's a fun photo opportunity and a chance to walk between the continents.
IncludesGuided tour Hotel pickup and drop-off Food and drinks (please bring a packed lunch) Crampons and hiking poles
- • The hike to the volcanic area is around one hour each way. • Pickup is offered from selected hotels, official bus stops in central Reykjavik, and from the cruise port. For this, please indicate which cruise port you will be arriving at. • Due to city regulations, parts of the city center are not accessible by bus, therefore, you will be redirected to special bus stops if you are staying in these areas.
- Please contact the local partner directly after booking in order to confirm your exact meeting point.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY