Reykjavik: Snaefellsnes Peninsula Super-Jeep Day Trip
Visit the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, the wildest region of Iceland with breathtaking landscapes, lovely small towns, rock formations, colorful sand beaches, waterfalls and lava fields. In a small and intimate group, you will discover this region in detail.
- Tour in a small group for a personalized experience
- Hear about the inspiration for 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'
- Experience the twin villages of Hellnar and Arnarstapi
- Encounter Búdir, a scenic black church
- Wander around a typical Icelandic fishing village
DescriptionFollowing your Reykjavik hotel pickup, you will hop inside your climate-controlled Super Jeep, a 4x4 specially equipped to tackle Iceland’s rugged terrain. You will meet your group of no more than six passengers, and then enjoy the views of the stunning west coast as you travel north to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula. You will hear about this untouched peninsula, immortalized by Jules Verne in his novel 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' from your guide, and learn about its viking heritage and folk tales, beloved by Iceland’s artists, writers, and musicians. Upon arrival, you will enjoy a comprehensive tour of the peninsula’s scenic highlights, quaint towns, and villages. You can view Snæfellsjökull, the towering, snow-covered volcano on the peninsula’s tip, and take photos of the rock formations. You can also watch for 'kittiwakes' as your guide explains how Verne imagined the volcano’s crater as the entrance to the earth’s center. Next, you will pause at Skardsvík Beach to admire its golden sand and cliffs, before driving through the folklore-steeped Lóndrangar to see its basalt pinnacles that look like a seaside rock castle. You will then stop for photos at Búdir, where a tiny church stands picturesquely against the Snæfellsjökull Volcano, before visiting the villages of Hellnar and Arnarstapi, tucked among basalt mountains and connected by a spectacular coastal road that winds past rock formations. Keep your camera ready for the harbor town of Grundarfjördur. Set beneath Mt. Kirkjufell, this is a stunning, cone-shaped mountain replete with waterfalls and known as one of Iceland’s prettiest spots. You’ll also visit Stykkishólmur, one of Snæfellsjökull’s most charming towns which is known for its environmental sustainability. You can admire the pastel-hued buildings, see the well-preserved traditional houses in the center, and take in the surrounding coastline, home to colonies of seabirds.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop off Round-trip transportation Professional guidance WiFi and hot drinks on board Food
- The weather changes quickly in Iceland, so don't be caught unaware
- It is always better to bring a sweater or dress in layers which you can remove if you are too warm
- Bring sturdy shoes for walking/hiking as well as warm clothing and outerwear suited to rainy or chilly weather • Children's car seats are available upon request
- This tour is free of charge for infants under the age of 1
- This tour is subject to favorable weather conditions (if cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund)
- At least 2 people are required for this activity to take place
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability