Iceland: South Coast and Northern Lights Tour19 Reviews
Discover the highlights of the south of Iceland on a scenic tour by bus. Go to the southernmost village at Vik, take a walk to a scenic viewpoint at Skógafoss Waterfall and more. Then, meet again in the evening to look for the Northern Lights!
- Walk behind a veil of water at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Experience the power of the cascades at Skógafoss Waterfall
- Discover the basalt columns at the black sand beach of Reynisfjara
- Hunt for the legendary Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)
DescriptionClimb aboard a modern bus equipped with computer tablets in each seat and a GPS-sensitive in-bus audio guide in 10 languages. Learn interesting facts about Iceland and the places you will visit as you depart Reykjavik and head south. You will also find a USB charger and free Wi-Fi on board the bus so that you can keep connected and share your experience along the way. Ask your host any questions you may have and they will be glad to help. Start with a drive through the lava fields by the active volcano of Hengill mountain. Then, head down to the rich coast and farmland. On clear days you will see Hekla volcano and the glacier-capped Eyjafjalljökull volcano rising majestically above the coastal mountains at its base. Just a few kilometers off the coastline you might also see the volcanic Westman Islands. Stop at the 60-meter high Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, famous for the hidden pathway behind it. Continue to the powerful cascades of Skógafoss Waterfall and take a short walk up a flight of steps to discover one of Iceland´s most scenic views. Next, go to Sólheimajökull Glacier on your way to Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach. Watch the waves of the Atlantic Ocean crash on the black sands and see the jagged basalt sea stacks and huge basalt-column cave off the coast. Continue to the southernmost village on Iceland with a trip to Vík, located on the main ring road around the island. Despite its small size and tiny population (only 291 inhabitants) it is still the largest settlement for 70 kilometers! Return to Reykjavík for a rest before part 2 of your adventure. Reconvene in the evening to search for the legendary Northern Lights in the night sky. For many, this is the reason to come to Iceland in the winter, and while sightings are weather dependent and cannot be guaranteed, the Northern Lights (also known as the 'Aurora Borealis') are mysterious and magical when they appear. The result of powerful solar storms, the lights need clear winter skies to be visible. Rest assured, your expert operational team has decades of experience analyzing weather patterns and the operator carefully reviews the conditions on a daily basis. You will not set off unless they think there is a good chance of spotting the lights, resulting in a high success rate. Be guided by one of the specially trained Northern Lights guides, and get tips on how to take photos of the natural phenomenon. Dress warmly as you will be out in the cold, or take advantage of the ultra-warm 'Aurora Jackets” available for rent.
IncludesLocal guide Specially trained Northern Lights guide Free Wi-Fi and USB charger for each seat In-bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages Hotel pickup (if option selected) Food and drinks Hotel pickup (unless option selected)
- There is no minimum number requirement for this tour
- There is no age limit for this tour
- Please dress according to the weather. In Iceland it is always smart to wear warm and waterproof clothes as weather changes are swift and you should expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended
- The tour is approximately 13 hours in total, including around 3 hours on the Northern Lights section
- Please bring your own headphones for the in-bus audio guide if possible, as they will fit you better and it's great for the environment. If you don’t have headphones with you, or forgot to bring them, earphones are available to purchase on board the bus • The Northern Lights tour is available daily from October 1 to March 31 at 21:00, and from August 28 to September 30 and April 1 to April 15 at 22:00. Departures are highly dependent on the weather
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability