My Guide Website?
Reykjavík: Guided Afternoon Hiking Tour to New Volcano Site553 Reviews
Embark on this magical adventure to the spectacular new erupting volcano at Litli Hrutur. The hike is well worth the effort with the reward being a magnificant display of nature's power.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Reykjavik:If youʻre booking your trip to Reykjavik last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- See the erupting lava at the new eruption at Litli Hrutur
- Discover the rugged beauty of the Geldingadalur Valley on a guided hike
- Pass by the eruption site at Meradalir on your way
- Admire vivid colors of the Seltún Hot Springs in Krýsuvík
- Discover how lava formed and hardened in the Meradalir Valley
DescriptionUpdate August 9th: The flow of new lava at Litli-Hrutur has stopped, at least for the time being. The area is still smoldering and is fascinating to visit. Enjoy an afternoon or evening hike in Geldingadalur Valley, where eruptions over the past two years have transformed the landscape. Recently a new eruption has begun at Litli Hrutur, transforming this once quiet region even more. Learn about the history of volcanoes in the area as well as an introduction to the underlying science from your expert guide. Get picked up in Reykjavík and set out on a scenic drive surrounded by breathtaking views towards the Fagradalsfjall Volcano, Meradalir, and Geldingadallur Valley. Once at the valley, put on your hiking gear and head towards the volcano to hopefully see some lava flowing. Bring snacks and water along with you and enjoy them while you gaze upon this natural wonder. The hike to a good viewing point of the eruption takes around 2 hours+/-. Afterward, as you drive along the peninsula, your guide will fill you in on the history of volcanos in the area, many long-dormant, now covered by soft green lava moss.
IncludesGuided tour Headlamp Entry fees
- The hike takes around 2 each way and is considered moderate to hard. The length of the tour is subject to change due to the live volcano and route closures. Due to city regulations, parts of the city center are not accessible by bus. You will be redirected to special bus stops if you are staying in these areas