My Guide Website?
Reykjavík: Volcano Eruption Site and Reykjanes Hiking Tour502 Reviews
Hike to recent volcano eruption sites at Geldingadalur Valley on a trip from Reykjavik. Explore the Reykjanes Peninsula Geopark, the Reykjanes Lighthouse, and the bridge between continents.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Reykjavik:If youʻre booking your trip to Reykjavik last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Visit Lake Kleifarvatn's black beach with underwater hot springs and viewpoint
- Hike to the eruption sites near Meradalir & Fagradalsfjall
- Witness bubbling mud pots and hissing steam vents at Gunnuhver Hot Springs
- Breathe in the fresh Atlantic Ocean air at the picturesque Reykjanes Lighthouse
- Walk from the Eurasian to the American tectonic plate on a 15-meter footbridge
DescriptionUpdate August 9th: The flow of new lava at Litli-Hrutur has stopped, at least for the time being. The area is still smoldering and is fascinating to visit. After a period on calm following eruption in 2012 and 2022, the Reykjanes Peninsula has awoken once more. In mid-July, a new volcano at Litli Hrutur erupted spewing lava and smoke over a vast area. Discover the beauty of volcanic landscapes in the Geldingadalur Valley on this day trip from Reykjavík. Walk past the eruption site Meradalir and Fagraadalsfjall Volcano areas to see the new lava fields. Capture photos at locations like Lake Kleifarvatn, The Bridge between Continents, and Gunnuhver Hot Springs. Start with a pickup in Reykjavík before heading on a scenic drive surrounded by breathtaking views. Stop by Lake Kleifarvatn to take in the black sand beach and surrounding mountains. Lace up your hiking boots and begin the long walk towards Litli Hrutur, north of Meradalir. Please note that the hike is of moderate to hard difficulty and takes around 2 hours each way. But please note that the route we take can vary depending on conditions on the day. We will always take you to the safest viewing point. This is a good moment to eat your packed lunch. Drive the Reykjanes Peninsula, where volcanoes have shaped the area, with immense ancient lava fields now covered by soft green lava moss. Continue to the Gunnuhver Hot Springs to breathe in steam from the boiling waters. Make your way to the oldest lighthouse in Iceland Reykjanes Lighthouse. Admire the cliffs and sea stacks formed by the Atlantic Ocean at the Valhnúkamöl Boulder Ridge. Finally, see the Bridge Between Continents which crosses a rift between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates. Get a picture of you walking across the bridge before returning to Reykjavík.
IncludesTour guide Onboard WiFi Pickup and drop-off Headlamp (if required)
- The hike to the volcanic area is around 2 hours each way. It is not an easy hike but is doable for people of reasonable fitness Please dress appropriately for what can be challenging weather conditions. Jeans are not recommended Pickup is offered from selected hotels, official bus stops in central Reykjavik, and the cruise port. For this, please indicate which cruise port you will be arriving to Due to city regulations, parts of the city center are not accessible by bus, therefore, you will be redirected to special bus stops if you are staying in these areas