Reykjavik: Landmannalaugar & Hekla Private Super Jeep Tour8 Reviews
Explore Iceland’s interior paradise and the lava fields of Landmannalaugar. A treat for geology enthusiasts and hikers alike, the tour takes in the wonders of Mother Nature, from glaciers, to exploding volcanic craters, and bubbling hot geothermal pools.
- See the fertile farm lands of south Iceland before moving on to epic views of Hekla’s snow-covered peaks
- Drive up to the edge of the youngest lava field, formed during the 2000 eruption
- Skirt the volcano’s ridge by Jeep, almost 3,000 feet above sea level, with awesome views if the weather is kind
- Drive through intensely rugged mountain terrain, past lava fields, and exploding craters
- Swing by the crater of Ljótipollur
- Hike across the lavafields of Landmannalaugar
- Admire the cascades of the Hjálparfoss Waterfall
- Go for a dip in a hot natural pool
DescriptionExplore the lava fields, explosive volcanic craters, glacial waterfalls, and bubbling hot springs of Landmannalaugar and Hekla on this 10-hour tour by Jeep. The tour kicks off in Reykjavik, where you will climb aboard a special Mountain Taxi Super Jeep. First, hit the fertile farmland in the south, before moving on to epic views of the snow-covered peak of Hekla, Iceland’s most famous active volcano. While Hekla is fairly dormant these days, its last eruption was little over 10 years ago in February of 2000. Since the country was settled in the 9th century, the volcano has erupted about 20 times, often with devastating effects. Hekla was notorious in Medieval Europe when it was believed to be the entrance to hell. The contrasts in landscape are extreme, and the lava and vegetation, shaped by the forces of erosion, make for a spectacular setting. Drive straight up to the edge of the youngest lava field, formed during the 2000 eruption. If the weather allows, you will also drive along the volcano’s ridge, almost 3,000 feet (900 meters) above sea level. You will be rewarded with awesome views if the weather is clear. At the base of the volcano, drive through intensely rugged mountain terrain, and past lava fields and exploding craters. Steering into interior Iceland, swing by the crater of Ljótipollur, before a coffee and lunch break in the stunning Landmannalaugar area. Here, you will have the opportunity to go for a 1-2 hour hike through the lava fields or dive into the natural hot geothermal pools. Back on the road, head down the Þjórsárdalur. Your last stop is the Hjálparfoss Waterfall, where you can admire the cascades into the confluence of the rivers Fossá and Þjórsá, before returning to Reykjavik.
IncludesJeep tour Hotel pickup and drop-off Personal expenses Food and beverages
- To arrange pickup at your hotel, please include your hotel address when booking
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability